Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I said I recall breakfast at tiffany's.

After reading "Breakfast at Tiffany's" today I was reminded of Tuesday's
discussion about celebrity sex tapes and our culture's draw to
celebrities regardless of whether they do things that are commonly seen
as morally lax. I feel the same draw is felt toward Holly by both her
suitors and the reader, but why? Most readers seem to assume it's her
charm, audacity, and optimism that redeem her questionable lifestyle.
Instead, I think it's instinctive pity that makes us love Holly. The
vision of a child prostitute, resolute despite horrible odds and
tittering on the edge emotionally, invokes the inner protector in us
all. I personally reminds me of those horrible E! True Hollywood Story
episodes that center around the live of child stars gone horribly awry.
Holly's story flows like one of those slow motion montage sequences of a
smiling child at parties and on runways all while the voice-over tells
of sex abuse and an addiction to huffing glue. Though we as a culture
love the shiny image of celebrity, full of glitz and glamour, we relish
the cracks in the facade more so. Whether it allows us to feel pity,
empathy, sympathy, or triumph, we feel commonality. Isn't it easier to
bring them to our level than step up to there's?

No comments: