Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Pissing off the feminists...

I found it interesting that Beauvoir took such a limited world view by
stating that "throughout history (women) have always been subordinate to
men." Such a statement is only true if you look purely at a western
world heavily influenced by the tenants of Christianity. In many
cultures women walk equal and even superior paths to men.

I was also taken by the observation that "a man never begins by
presenting himself as an individual of a certain sex; it goes without
saying that he's a man." Perhaps it is not the man's fault for labeling
women as the other, but woman's eternal quest for frameworked equality
that stirs the pot so to say. It reminds me of the timeless advise that
every socially awkward kid gets from their parents after they get picked
on the first time: don't fight back, you'll only provoke them. Just
ignore it and eventually they'll get bored and find someone else to pick
on. I'm sure this puts a giant bulls eye on my forehead for any feminist
within a twenty mile radius, but I think that if women spent half the
time working to have a reason to be respected as they do complaining
about not being equals the "cause" would be a lot further along.

By no means do I want people to think I'm anti feminism. I just feel
that whining about it gets us nowhere other than gaining the reputation
of "man haters" or "bitches" (and I mean it in the mean way, not the
playful way).

-kara

No comments: